The winter season is the perfect time to cozy up to the fire with something to sip on. And, sometimes you want the fun of a cocktail without paying the price (next-day headache, poor sleep, sluggishness, etc.). This calls for the perfect winter season MOCKtail!
According to the TODAY Show, the sober curious movement is one of the top health and wellness trends to look out for in 2023. A recent Gallup poll found that fewer people are drinking overall and the number of drinks consumed per week has fallen from 4.8 in 2009 to 3.6 in 2021. Curious about being sober curious? Give one of these fun mocktail recipes a try this winter and enjoy all the fun without the hangover!
Non-Alcoholic Mulled Wine
- 2 large oranges, divided
- 64 ounces cran-grape juice
- 6 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole star anise
- 8 whole cloves
- Slice one orange into thin wheels and juice other orange.
- Place orange slices, cran-grape juice, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves in a large saucepan, dutch oven or Crock Pot. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain juice through a fine mesh sieve. Return juice to pan and stir in reserved orange juice. Serve warm and garnish with additional orange slices and whole spices, if desired.
- Can’t find cran-grape juice? Use half a bottle of grape juice and half a bottle of cranberry juice instead. Or just use grape juice.
- Make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
- The 30 minute simmer time is a starting point. The longer the juice simmers with the spices, the more flavorful the drink will be.
Full recipe available at Garnish with Lemon.
Sparkling Pomegranate Mocktail
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 2-3 limes
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white, granulated sugar + 1/4 cup for rimming glasses
- 2 and 1/3 cups unsweetened cranberry pomegranate juice
- 24 ounces sparkling water or club soda
- Lots of crushed or cubed ice
- PREP: Deseed a pomegranate to get 3/4 cup pomegranate arils. Thinly slice 2-3 limes.
- MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the water and 3/4 cup white sugar until the sugar is integrated and completely dissolved. (You don’t haveto bring it to a simmer or boil; simply heat until the liquid is clear and all sugar is dissolved, if you pinch some of the mixture with fingers it should feel smooth; if it feels gritty it’s not quite done.) Remove from heat and then cool completely. This can be made a week in advance!
- COMBINE: Fill a large pitcher halfway with ice. Pour in completely cooled simple syrup. Add in the unsweetened cranberry-pomegranate juice. Add in the club soda or sparkling water. Stir together in the pitcher. Add in the sliced limes and pomegranate arils.
- OPTIONAL GLASS RIM: If desired, rim your glasses in sugar! Dip the top of the glass into a bowl filled with water and then into a bowl filled with sugar. Pour the drink into the sugar rimmed glasses. Add a slice of lime if desired.
- ENJOY: Enjoy immediately. (To make ahead, combine everything except the ice and sparkling water/soda. Add ice and sparkling water/soda right before serving.)
Recipe courtesy of Chelsea’s Messy Apron.
The House Call – Blackberry-Ginger Mocktail
- 3 or 4 pieces ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 or 6 blackberries, plus more for garnish
- 4 or 5 mint leaves
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. light agave
- 3 or 4 oz. club soda
- Sprig of mint for garnish
In the bottom of a cocktail shaker, muddle the ginger. Add blackberries and muddle. Add mint leaves and muddle. Add lemon juice and agave, and shake well with ice. Double-strain into an ice-filled rocks glass and top with club soda. Stir gently and garnish with mint and a blackberry.
Recipe courtesy of the Rachael Ray Show.