While the weather is nice, it’s a great time to entertain guests at home with an easy outdoor get together or BBQ (keyword being “EASY”). Here are 5 tips to make hosting a breeze so you can enjoy your time with company rather than in the kitchen:
- Make Everything Beforehand – To keep it really simple, make items ahead of time that you can have in the fridge and just take out once you are ready to eat. Think homemade chicken salad with fresh breads, a green salad lightly dressed with a platter of fresh summer fruits.
- Go Bento – Make individual bento box-style meals for your guests that you can put out with a name tag on each. You will be the talk of the neighborhood with this personalized touch. A favorite of mine is to do a Greek-inspired box for each guest. Include an individual small Greek salad, grilled chicken and lamb, tzatziki, hummus and baba ghanoush on a tray. Then, start the gas grill and prepare a few pieces of grilled pita bread for each guest to enjoy with their meal.
- Keep It Light – Give yourself a break from cooking and buy ready-to-eat salads and charcuterie boards at your local grocery store. Then, serve a few summery signature cocktails to celebrate the season. Try vodka with variations on homemade lemonade. Add teaspoons of berry syrups or fruity liqueur like Chambord. Decorate with berries, melon balls of all colors, and herbs. Cheers!
- Have a Rose´ Tasting – This is one of my favorites. Grab 4-6 different bottles of Rose´ and set up a place setting for each guest outdoors. Make sure there are 4-6 glasses for the tasting (depending on your selections). Have a scorecard ready and rank them as a group to determine what the Rose´ of choice should be for the rest of the warmer days.
- Fire Up Your Grill – Prepare simple everyday things on the grill. Trust me, grilled cheese sandwiches prepared on the outdoor grill are always a crowd favorite. Add mustard or chutney to your sandwich and make sure to cook them slowly on a low heat. Serve with ice cold beers.